Saturday, January 10, 2009

Questions about hate in China

One thing I've noticed here in China is a pattern of continued and unadulterated hate for a group of people. Another thing I've noticed is that Chinese people, at least over here, don't really make a separation between a person and a person's country. That is, if the government of your country says or does something, they assume that you agree with what was said or done. With all that combined, it's become clear to me that there is, in fact, an unspoken hate list in China. 

Before everyone begins yelling at me, yes, I am stereotyping. But I am applying this not to specific people but society as a whole, as in "the Chinese people" that I'm always reading about in one article or another as if they're all of a hive mind.

Anyway, the hate list goes as follows. I'll provide the reasons (as I understand them) and list it from most hated to least hated.

Japan - World War II and Nanjing
Tibetans - Dalai Lama and Tibetan independence movements
Taiwanese - independence movements
French - Olympic protests and Sarkozy meeting with the Dalai Lama
Koreans - Early release of an Olympic opening ceremony rehearsal video
Americans - ...envy? Who knows?
Africans - no actual reason, simple racism

One thing to note here is that I have seen a clear negative correlation between education and hate. That means the dumber you are, the more you hate. This phenomenon is one I've never really seen anywhere else. In the U.S., sure, we have our passing "hates" and spats of racism. Like the harassment of those of Middle Eastern descent since 9/11, for example. However, as a matter of policy, it's not something that is openly tolerated as it is here.

The one that concerns me most on this list is the hate for the Japanese. You see, it's quite easy for me, when getting into a discussion with a Chinese person to point out how ridiculous it is to protest America by not eating at KFC for a day or to protest France by not buying from Carrefour. But, the thing is that with Japan, the only reason for the continued hate can only be justified by the government's continued denial of the Nanjing massacre ever actually occurring.

So I want to know, if anyone knows more about this than me, do the Japanese still actually deny that the Nanjing massacre occurred? And do they still teach it in Japanese history books that Japan came to help China? And finally, do the Japanese themselves, especially the youth, know the truth?

1 comment:

  1. Depends. There are ultra right-wing nationalists that still deny it, but I have no idea what the average citizen would think about this though. I imagine someone's done a poll on it at some point.

    ReplyDelete